LOOK & FEEL--
Yes: Modern, classy, confident, innovative, supportive, growth
No: Masculine, traditional, old-fashioned, aggressive
WHAT I WANT
I'm looking for a logo that is clean and modern. I prefer organic logos over geometric logos, but I appreciate symmetry as well. I also prefer stylized logos to literal or cartoon-type logos. I think using whitespace in creative ways is very cool, but that doesn't mean you should limit yourself to only that style! I want you to bring your own creativity and interpretation of this brief to your design efforts.
I also want to be able to use the logo as an avatar (eg, on Twitter) so it shouldn't get so finely detailed that it will not work well at a thumbnail size.
I want the logo to express one or more aspects of the firm's brand:
- helping our clients grow
ELEMENTS TO TRY (But please use these as a starting point and feel free to creatively design for the look and feel--don't feel limited to only do something on this list!):
- a V shape that looks like it is woven together at the bottom (see references)
- a dragonfly; or maybe a little white dragonfly that fits inside a green V shape (see references)
- a cool text treatment for the word Versant (or for Versant Legal) where the V could be pulled out separately to use as an avatar/logo
- an interesting and unique text treatment of the letter V that is in keeping with the look and feel
- Boston's iconic Zakim Bridge (see references)
- a spark (like a spark of creativity!)
- a V shape that suggests wings/soaring above (see references)
- a fox
If your design has a logo image plus Versant Legal in text, I'd like Versant to be more prominent than Legal, but I still want to be able to see Legal when I use the logo at smaller sizes (like on LinkedIn, or on a business card). Some ways you might achieve this are by making Versant a little bigger than Legal, or using different font colors, or making Versant bold and Legal regular. But use your creativity, please! I do generally prefer sans serif fonts for text, they are more modern, but if you've got a cool idea with a different font, bring it on!
ELEMENTS TO AVOID
Here's the thing--law firm logos tend to be pretty boring and unoriginal, and that's not what I want! I don't want something traditional or old-fashioned or classic looking.
So please DO NOT USE:
- quill pen
- scales of justice
- lion (too masculine/aggressive)
- boring initials (and please don't use the L in Legal as an initial--I don't want a logo that is "VL")
- "Versant Legal" with a box, circle, line between the two words, etc.
- script fonts (too feminine and hard to read)
- traditional-looking serif fonts