I am an independent iPhone developer with a passion in creating state-of-the-art applications. Blink will allow you to take a picture of any sign, text, menu in a foreign language while translating it into a language that you can understand.
Now you can understand those French menus in France, those Chinese signs hanging on the Chinese restaurant walls, or simply take a notes by taking a picture of a magazine page while recognizing the text(using OCR) and save it into your notes. Unable to take a picture for some reason? Just draw the character with your fingeres for instant translation.
I am looking for ideas around this and would like to entertain any type of design which embodies the items above.
There are a few target audiences who Blink! is targeted for:
1. I aim to target global travelers who love to travel and need a translation pocket companion with them.
2. Those who would like to learn a new language.
3. Blink! also acts as a pocket OCR scanner. Take a picture of a newspaper and extract the text from the photo.
The name Blink! was conceived as a blink of the camera shutter. Ideally, the icon for the application would need to integrate item #1 along with at least one other element (#2 thru #4) below .
1. Symbol representing translation, the concept of a single universal language, a symbol/concept representing understanding, or capturing the element of discovery, e.g. the feeling one gets when it is translated and you want to capture the feeling of "Oh, this is what it means!". (Mandatory since this is what the app does).
2. An eye blink
3. A camera shutter
4. Anything travel related
I would love to hear of any other ideas even if it means going beyond the requirements above.
Use of bright, harmonic and attractive colors are encouraged.
In terms of technical deliverables, I would need.
1. One 512x512 pixel .PNG at least 300dpi.
2. One 57x57 pixel .PNG
3. 3 different versions, a "lite", a "full" and a "pro" version (see below for description)
The icon should be attractive (preferably cheerful&bright), drawing attention to the icon. This includes creative use of colors and imagery.
There will be 3 versions of this application, a "lite", a "full" and a "pro" version. The lite version recognizes your home language and can translate into any other language (you can add-on other languages via in-store purchases). The pro version will recognize all languages. I will be adding in capabilities for business card reading to add directly to contacts as well.
Bonus : I will distribute a free promotional key of the "pro" version for those who participate in the contest! The pro will ultimately be in the $4.99-$9.99 pricing category after the introductory period expires.
As mentioned above, I'm looking for ideas around the icon itself, something simple and catchy.
Please do contact me for any questions and looking forward to hearing from you. Very good potential for future work including suggestions for wallpaper/background images and for website design.