iOS (iPhone/iPad) app icon
A set of icons to be used for an app for the iPhone and iPad. The pixels sizes are 512x512 57x57 114x114 72x72 50x50 29x29 58x58. The files are in PNG format. The icons must meet the requirements of Apple; see https://developer.apple.com/library…mages.html. The smaller versions are simpler versions of the largest version, with adjustments so that they still look good.
A diagram of the desired icon is included. It looks like a metal machine with typewriter keys and a piece of paper coming out of a slot. (See picture) The outer rim is metal. The buttons are old-style typewriter keys with chrome edges. (For examples, see eBay and search for "glass typewriter keys") The rectangle towards the top is the piece of paper. The paper can be lined paper or grid paper or plain or colored. The keys should have the special characters and text as shown (at high resolution; they would not be clear at low resolution). The keys should have shadows to show they are slightly above the surface. Interesting metal and other textures are desired, especially at the high (512x512) resolution.
More information added 2012-02-15; I hope this helps with some of the questions.
Thank you for looking at this contest.
1) I have attached one picture from the iPad app ( App screen on iPad.png ). It is an app for making notes. The sheet of paper can be different sizes and different types. I want the icon to remind people of this screen.
2) A special feature of the app is that it has extra keys for special operations. I picked some of these keys for the icon. (The icon should not have the whole keyboard, because it would be too crowded.)
3) The icon is not a real machine. It looks somewhat like an old typewriter and somewhat like a stenograph machine.
(See http://www.google.com/search?q=sten…ine+images ) But it should not look a real typewriter or stenograph machine.
4) The old typewriter keys ( http://www.google.com/search?q=old+…eys+images ) are to give it a mechanical style. The icon style could be steampunk ( http://www.google.com/search?q=stea…ter+images ) , but it could art deco ( http://www.google.com/search?q=art+…ter+images or other styles, too.
5) The icon should have some 3D in it. I have added another sketch ( Sketch showing possible 3D.png ) to show the possible 3D nature of the icon. The icon does not have to be exactly like this! I have already seen nice icons that do not look exactly like this. This is only one idea.
More information added 2012-02-15
If you have not seen the iPad, I have included some screen examples.
I have added 3 pictures of what a typical iPad screen looks like, with examples of icons. The files are iPad Background 1.jpg, iPad Background 2.jpg, iPad Background 3.jpg.
(Some of the icons in these background pictures are good and some are not. I just took a picture of what I had.)