Simply put, our aim is to create an awe-inspiring map of the world. In the end this will be a product people will have on hand, so details are very important.
Unique feature of this project is that it is going to be a Scratch-Off Map. You can google it or search the term on Amazon, but here's how that looks:
Your task is to illustrate a beautiful map for the bottom layer, let's call it the base map. Don't bother yourself with scratch-off layers, it's going to be our job.
We want the map to be unique and portray how brilliant each country and region really is.
When people see the places they've been to, the map should remind them of a certain aspect of given region, such as some well known attraction spot, some cultural uniqueness. Have a look:
Another thing about this map is that besides being a fun wall magnet for guests to look at, it should be informational, here, take a look:
So your job is to combine best of both worlds and create a unique, attractive world map that draws attention and inspires to seek new adventures.
1) Cartographic detail: Country labels, capitals, major city labels, not too extensive, seek minimalism that serves a function.
2) Artistic: go wild on this one, let your artist magic flow and make countries illustrations memorable and unique (especially popular countries)
3) State/internal administrative area outlines for USA, Canada, Australia
4) The colors must stand out, contrast and compliment the ocean and overall map. Design MUST draw attention from afar. Guests should ask "Wow! Where'd you get this?"
5) Map projection should be similar to this (not a globe):
6) Regarding the ocean: we like this ocean color
But you should feel free to play around with how your map colors compliment the ocean and vice versa, feel free to experiment!
THE JOB IS DONE WELL IF:
1) Looking at particular country/place invokes a feel of that place culture, sights, etc. Our customers should be able to mentally revisit a particular country via your artistic reference.
2) The map and country details, colors and overall design surprises customers when they scratch off the upper layer (would be silver or gold scratch off layer)
3) You can easily tell one country from another. Use borders and different colors/illustrations for that.