I am looking for a set of six illustrations for an upcoming urban fantasy novel. I cannot go into too much detail of the story but can provide every background you need. The illustrations should be in the same style, of course. They are supposed to be drawn by the female protagonist. The setting is in modern Shanghai. It would be nice if the illustrations would feature things one would consider typically chinese. There is a dark shadow over all of the images. I'm also thinking about different techniques, like silhouette, edging, pencil... It's not necessary to be "true", they are not photos but illustrations made by a 16 year old girl...
Technically, I'd need them in a 1024 x 1536 (width by height) pixels Tiff or Jpeg. The six illustrations needed are:
- a self portrait of the female hero, maybe sitting in front of a mirror. She's caucasian, sixteen years old. Your typical girl from next door, not a model, not blonde, not a beauty contest winner but interesting. She likes to draw, to paint, to read. Between girl and woman.
- a full body image of the male hero as seen by her. He's a dark person in all aspects. Part chinese, part caucasian. Black hair. Maybe tattooed. He looks like in his early twenties. He's special. For her, he's beautiful. An impressive person. There is something about him, one cannot tell what it is, but there is. A bit like Tony Leung in the french movie "The Lover" (after a novel by Marguerite Duras).
- a typical house in Shanghai's French Concession. Two- or three-storyed, not too big, in a small street, in the late afternoon. There are a lot of images on Flickr.com you could get inspiration from.
- a scene in Shanghai Pudong, the modern quarter of Shanghai, drawn by her, seen from the ground. It's a cloudy day. The skyscrapers look strange, organic. Humans feel small compared to the sea of skyscrapers. http://www.stadtbild-deutschland.or
- a scene in the famous YuYuan garden. There are a lot of bridges. The water seems dangerous to her. There is an invisible danger in the scene although it looks idyllic.
- a scene in a small road built of typical Shikumen Long Tang houses (old buildings, situated in Old Shanghai roads called Long Tang) http://traditions.cultural-china.co
Again, it's a bit dark, but it feels friendly this time.
Please, start with one of the illustrations first so I can provide feedback on the style and the general direction.
Attention, I will pay additional $100 to the winner if he/she can provide rough sketches to the illustrations (for a "making of"). So please keep early versions around...