About The Red Spool: Not long ago, my mother gave me a collection of old wooden spools (see photo), suggesting they could be a decorative addition to my studio. Mom had kept them from her early years of sewing for her family back in the 1940's-60's, before wooden spools were replaced by plastic. They're just ordinary objects, functional in their time, and now fun to have on display. Recently, I was setting out the spools when it struck me that there was only one red one. It's a pretty shade of red--like ripe strawberries or raspberries--and it stands out from the rest, unique in a field of sameness. Today, that red spool is a piece of inspiration, reminding me to always strive to create something that is functional, but that also stands out in the crowd...something distinctive and pretty.
- Convey a brand that is vibrant, classy, fresh, upscale, current, approachable
- I lean toward more traditional "serifed" fonts as being approachable, rather than script/handwritten.
- Avoid appearing "crafty", or "homemade".
- Should contain a spool--realistic or abstract/symbolic--as a design element (no clip art, please).
- Max of 2 or 3 colors; obviously, I expect red to be one. No black, please (something softer).
- Must be able to be used in web and print (product hangtags, business cards, postcards...)
- In terms of the name, "Red Spool" should be the visually prominent text, with "the" being less so.
Thank you, and have fun!