Research England is a new public body, based in the English higher education (university) sector, which promotes research excellence and the sharing of research information/expertise with businesses and society (a practice known as ‘knowledge exchange’).
We do this by:
• Funding universities to carry out high-quality, world-leading research and knowledge exchange activities, in all subject areas, so they can create a positive impact on the English economy and society and help the country meet national priorities and global challenges
• Working with universities to understand their strategies for research and knowledge exchange
• Analysing the impact of the UK government’s research and knowledge exchange policies on universities in England
• Working with the government to design and deliver policies which encourage English universities to improve and become more effective and efficient in research and knowledge exchange
• Collaborating with devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland on UK-wide activity, such as research quality assessment
Four key words which describe our organisation are: rigorous, influential, challenging and dynamic.
Our target audience includes universities in England, the UK government, subject-specific research councils (e.g. the Medical Research Council) and other organisations and advocacy groups in the higher education sector.