Where's My Star?
We are looking for a logo for a campaign in support of statehood for the District of Columbia. The campaign will be called “Where’s My Star?” - aiming to make it clear that there are over 600,000 taxpaying Americans who are not represented on the American flag with a star.
>>> We are looking to take the "missing star" concept, and use it as a core part of the logo and theme of the campaign. <<<<<
(In case you don’t know, the U.S. flag has 50 stars, one for each state. Our aim is to make the District of Columbia a state – and there for add another star to the flag.)
This issue has been around for a long time, but really needs some new energy and re-branding. We’re looking for something "cool" and "cutting edge" - but the logo should also convey action and is “future facing”.
You can read more about the DC statehood issue here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri…_statehood
Our target audience is two fold:
1) Progressive activists across the country who would be supportive of DC statehood -- with an emphasis on the “netroots” – the online organizers, bloggers, and activists.
2) People living in the District of Columbia: This campaign will also be used to motivate and educate the people living in DC to get them to take action on their own behalf.
We'd like to lean towards using the colors of red and white (like the current DC Flag: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri…mbia_flag), but please feel free to experiment with different shades or additional colors like a deep blue in the US flag…we are not committed to any color scheme.
1. We would want to have the logo incorporate a star, similar to the dimensions on the American flag.
2. The words “Where’s My Star?” should also be a part of the logo - don't forget the question mark.
3. We like the way the US Army Logo uses the star - feel free to be influenced by it:
4. We saw this contest, and liked a lot of the designs in terms of colors and capturing the American flag...perhaps some inspiration can be found (but please no stealing!) http://99designs.com/logo-design/co…ople-37910 (see #199)
5. We'd be interested in designs that make it clear this is about getting a new star on the American flag.
6. The theme of the number “51” or the geographic outline of the District of Columbia can be used if appropriate, but it’s not required.
1. No “Cartoony” logos
2. The design and typeface should be clear, simple and bold. We want something that stands out.
3. While this is for Washington, DC we'd like to avoid any reference to the iconic symbols of the city - White House, Capitol, Monuments, etc. Those are Federal symbols, and this is about the real people and actual neighborhoods of DC - beyond the touristy core.
4. The brand may be flexible and could read "Where's Their Star?" as well, so a design that could handle both would be appreciated.
5. Here are some examples of logos that have some elements we like: