Creation of a new logo for Web100.com, which is being relaunched/redesigned.
Web100.com currently ranks and reviews the web’s top sites. The “new” Web100.com will be a hub for top 100 lists of all kinds (Design 100, Photography 100, Shopping 100, etc.), with reviews and rankings of websites and online resources.
Revision (on November 24): I have added a document with a suggestion for a possible design element: http://www.web100.com/dev/squares.pdf
The logo should be clean and simple. First and foremost, it needs to jive with our new design, which you can see, in comp form, at http://www.web100.com/dev/
Please note the following elements of our new design:
- the orange/blue color scheme of the design; you can see the style.css file with specifics at http://www.web100.com/dev/style.css
- the look of the square numbers in the center region...this will be used throughout the site
- the mouseover effect with the numbers in the center of the page (the blue turns to orange on mouseover)Please feel free to create something that’s a refinement or riff on the logo at http://www.web100.com/dev/ -- I like the idea of the 100 in the box (as that echoes the mouseover effect with the numbering), and I like the combo of the two colors. But I’m open to something entirely new, also, as long as it is relatively simple and makes sense within the overall design and connects with the blue/orange color scheme of the site. Note that Web100.com is all about lists (that is, top 100 lists), and so a design/graphic element that conveys lists might work.
The logo will be used almost exclusively on the website, but I would likely also use it on business cards, shirts, letterhead, etc. That said, the key is that it works within the framework of the new design for the site.
In general, I like rather simple logos (though these examples are on the super-simple end of things):
- digg – very simple, relying on a great/interesting typeface
- delicious.com – I like the little square box with the blue, gray, and black
- 99designs – I love the 99 designs logoI am open to a logo that’s entirely composed of type. I am also open to a logo that’s composed of both type and a very simple iconic graphic (as in the delicious.com logo).
- The logo should must use the URL: web100.com
- I am completely open to whether it’s lowercase, uppercase, or a combo.
- The .com should probably be part of the logo, though I'm not 100 percent sure about this; in any case, if it is used, I would prefer if it’s de-emphasized by being made small. That said, I could see it being small and uppercase for an interesting effect.
- The logo should be delivered in a format that will allow me to create the image for the website and also use/revise for other media/purposes.
- photo realism
- bad clipart
- a logo that doesn't jive with our new design and color scheme