How Verge Studio started their logo design journey
SmartLeagues.com will be a blog dedicated to making smart choices in one's Fantasy Sports leagues. The site is sport-agnostic, so the logo should not evoke any one sport. We need a logo/avatar designed.
What inspires you and how do you envision the design for your business?
The logo/avatar should have a clean palette and strong, bold typography. The iconography should easily translate into a square Twitter badge. General layout should be like this:
[ ] SmartLeagues.com
Where [ ] represents the square icon/avatar.
- Iconography the echoes, but does not blatantly lift from major sports leagues like the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. Initial thoughts for the icon include the silhouette of the head of a man holding his chin, as if in thought. This silhouette could be treated in a similar way to the MLB logo seen here: http://snipurl.com/mlb-logo - However, it should not be a direct lift of this concept.
- Color scheme should NOT be red/white/blue as in most US sports leagues. We want the brand to have a broader appeal. That said, a strong, masculine palette is desired.
- Typeface should be solid, strong and without serifs.
- Open to very different takes on this logo than what is posted above. However, expect lots of direction for "out there" ideas that we may find interesting but in need of tweaking.
- Boring. Logo should catch the eye.
- Trite. Come up with a unique spin on an old standard, but just don't rehash existing logos.
- Super-bright/neon palette. These are traditional, not "extreme" sports.