Second Place Prize is $100.00. Runa is an Amazonian beverage company that will make simple, healthy, fair trade energy drinks from the highly caffeinated leaves of a previously un-marketed Amazonian tree. We are looking for an energy drink can design that is magnetic, simple, and bold power of our unique ingredients.
We are creating RUNA energy drinks with only one ingredient: the caffeinated leaves of an Amazonian tree named Ilex Guayusa. Traditionally, hunters and their dogs drink Runa to sharpen their instincts, and it is often called the “Night Watchman" because it helps them stay alert and awake all night. It offers the energy of coffee without the jitters or crash, and the clarity and simplicity of tea without the bitterness. With compounds proven to lower blood sugar and blood pressure, wayus uniquely calms the body and awakens the mind to what the Kichwa people call "mental strength and courage."
Our goal is to expand our customer-base beyond the traditional confines of the natural food and energy drink markets. We intend that Runa drinkers will be both the mature adult who wants easy energy during the day without the overwhelming jolt of typical energy drinks or coffee, and also young professionals and students who steer clear of hyped, macho energy drinks and are looking for a more satisfying and healthy option. We will target universities, social foundations, and natural foods stores as our main audience and our ideal consumer is between the ages of 17 and 34.
- Energy drink designs for approximately a 12oz. aluminum can - functionally shaped anyway you like!)
A.) Runa energy drink (just guayusa as the only ingredient)
B.) Energy drink oriented towards women (not exclusively but obviously). The only two ingredients are "wayus" and "jasmine flower" _ Use a strong pink, orange, or tan color scape for this design.
*** If you have a suggestion for a different style of can/bottle design that uses other, preferably more sustainable materials than aluminum please propose it.
Here is the text that should be communicated on the label in this order (you can play with size, font, placement, spacing, color, etc.) I would like the can to have space and not be too busy. If you want a sample sketch of this outline please email firstname.lastname@example.org and I can send it to you.
1.) ORGANIC - stretching across the top
2.) Naturally Sweet
3.) RUNA - biggest text, very bold
4.) original, small and just below "RUNA" to the right
5.) Amazon Energy Drink - smaller and below RUNA original
6.) *"Just One Ingredient" - display in a way that catches the eye and is the next thing that someone sees after "RUNA"
7.) "Zero Calories and No Sugar" - somewhere below "Just One Ingredient
7.) In the lower third of the can and towards the center put the Rainforest Alliance Certification logo (find on google) and the Glycemic Index Certification logo (http://www.glycemic.com) side by side or however you want to position them.
*** Behind the text, I want a royal blue colorscape: Something that stands out when put against other flashy energy drinks. Blended in with the blue, I want jaguar spots to fan out in a fibanocci sequence or to mimic the look of a drop of water hitting a still body of water and rippling out. (google images: "fibonacci sequence"). The idea is that near the center of the can where it says "RUNA" the jaguar spots will be very small and almost indistinguishable and that they get bigger and more highly contrast the background as they approach the sides of the can and the back of the can. I can't explain this terribly well in words so try it and I'll give feedback. The point is to have jaguar spots spiral out in a fractal pattern that follows a geometric sequence but that still looks artistic and peppered by the lack of uniformity in the size and shape of the spots themselves.
THEME AND STYLE:::
CLEAN AESTHETIC, SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE COMPANY, SUSTAINABLE PRINCIPLES, FAIR TRADE, ORGANIC, HEALTHY (obviously), with THE SPIRITUAL UNDERTONES AND PHILOSOPHY OF A TEA COMPANY.
- the feel communicates SIMPLICITY, POWER, and HEALTH with a mild Amazonian flair
- looks professional yet welcoming and attractive
- Something that directly competes with Red Bull for the energy drink design (this is where the Blue Jaguar idea came from- but don't be attached to it, "Runa" is still central)
- hints and suggestions of the Amazon and ancestral power, mythic roots, authenticity**, indigenous wisdom (think 21st century Amazonia, 'Living Myth')
- I see a true, royal blue as the main color with bold, piercing white lettering (like the lining of a cloud at dusk) perhaps with gold lining around some letters. Try and incorporate a nice green that matches the blue in some places.
- look at the logo for Sambazon that, at least subconsciously, imitates the Starbucks logo (This is how we might relate to Red Bull for the energy drink, but we want our overall aesthetic as a company to be more neutral so we also can also sell teabags and loose-leaf tea) (see http://www.sambazon.com)
- we don't want anything gimmicky, too New Age, or overly exotic