This project is to design the case cover art and disk art for a DVD package.
We've made a DVD of science experiments that students can do at home and learn essentials of science from.
You can sort of think of this as Bill Nye the Science Guy sort of stuff....but not as wacky.
It is important to know that the artwork shouldn't be targeted just to kids. It should be professional, sophisticated looking but can have a slightly playful tone. Appealing for kids to look at but not so wacky that adults would be turned off. We have lots of adult learners using our DVDs to learn.
You'll be designing the art for the DVD case and also for the face of the DVD disk.
- There will be 2 disks in the package so you will need some small area on the disk face to indicate "Disk 1" or "Disk 2".
- You'll need to leave some white space on the back of the case for our UPC barcode.
- I have included a zip file. In there is our logo, some screenshots, and some PDF files that have EPS files in them. You must use these EPS files as a template when designing. Put them in a bottom layer of the Adobe Illustrator file and draw on top. The DVD print shop needs it done this way. I require final files in Illustrator format.
Things I like:
- Again, you can be playful but not too playful. Walk a line between sophistication and appeal to kids. Visit ScienceAndMath.com to view a video clip and see what the product is all about.
- You have our logo which should be featured somewhere. I like those colors. You can use punches of red or other colors to make things stand out if it adds to the design.
- Here is a list of projects on 99designs that I like. Don't copy them, but just for reference. Two of these is actually a DVD project.
Copy for Front Cover:
- Title of DVD is "Amazing Science!: Volume 1"
- Subtitle is: "Easy Experiments That Make Science Exciting!"
Copy for Back Cover:
Learn fundamental principles of science through Amazing Science Experiments! You'll learn about electricity, magnetism, heat, temperature, pressure, surface tension, buoyancy, and much more.
For every demonstration, a complete materials list is given, and each experiment features multiple camera views so you can see exactly what happens. Most importantly, every concept is explained in a step-by-step fashion. You'll not only be amazed - you'll understand the science behind every experiment!
Experiment 1 - Build a Motor with Lights
Experiment 2 - Build a Lemon Battery
Experiment 3 - Color Changing Milk
Experiment 4 - Lift an Ice Cube with String
Experiment 5 - Amazing Magnetic Force
Experiment 6 - Unburnable Money
Experiment 7 - Exploring Air Pressure
Experiment 8 - Egg in a Bottle
Experiment 9 - Cloud in a Bottle
Experiment 10 - Inverted Cup of Water
Experiment 11 - Candle Suction Power
Experiment 12 - Matchstick Speedboat
Experiment 13 - Reversing an Image with Water
Experiment 14 - Keeping Paper Dry Under Water
Experiment 15 - Floating Eggs
Experiment 16 - Dry Ice Bubbles
Experiment 17 - Balloon in a Candle Flame
Experiment 18 - Simple Lava Lamp
Experiment 19 - Ocean in a Bottle
Experiment 20 - Density Tower
Experiment 21 - Build a Motor #2
Experiment 22 - Invisible Ink
Experiment 23 - Soda Can Fizz