Free High School Science Texts
FHSST is a community-driven, volunteer project to write free science and mathematics textbooks for South Africa (grades 10-12). The books are released under an open copyright licence (see http://www.fhsst.org for details). FHSST and OpenPress are teaming up to print the books (see http://www.markhorner.net/2009/10/2…s-by-hand/ for details) but they need someone to design covers for them.
The books are aimed at Grade 10-12 learners and teachers in South Africa.
A sequence of 3 A4 covers (front and back) are required for the Physical Science books, one for each grade.
The covers must:
- include the title "Physical Science"
- include the grade in the form: "Grade X" where X is one of 10, 11 or 12
- have an obvious theme tying the three titles together
- state "Written by volunteers" in a location and manner consistent with common practice for the authors' name(s)
- include the FHSST logo
- display the OpenPress logo in a clear but not dominant location (possibly similar to the manner in which a publisher's logo would be included), any of the OpenPress logo variations may be used in the design (see attached .ai file for variations)
The back covers should be the same for all books and include pictures of all 3 books covers and the FHSST logo.
Those are the hard requirements. Everything else is up to you:
We have no pre-conceived themes or styles. We must try to balance appealing to the youth and teachers and would probably not go for something extremely abstract or extremely traditional.
We have no objections to the use of science instruments, equations or symbols as elements on the covers but don't want to mandate their inclusion either.
An African hint to the theme would be nice but is also not mandatory.
We will rapidly indicate if ideas or themes emerge we do / don't like.
To be fair here is a list of the high-level topics that are covered:
- motion in 1- and 2-D
- forces, momentum
- doppler effect
- wave nature of matter
- electromagnetic radiation
- classification of matter
- bonding, inter-molecular forces
- organic molecules
- thermal properties
- chemical reactions
- chemical industry