We are a startup in San Francisco that provides consumers scientific information about the health, environmental, and social impact of products they buy.
People who are interested in researching green, healthy, ethical products. We're especially targeted towards women but both genders should feel welcomed by the design.
We are looking for the design of just one portion of a page, the header of our new home page. Please see the two uploaded files. There is a box in red around the portion of the page that we need designed. The design outside of that box either shouldn't be effected by the design you provide, or only be minimally affected.
Given the parameters of working within the highlighted region, you can have a lot of freedom in how this area of the page is designed, layout, color, typography, graphics, icons. However, two things to keep in mind:
(1) We can't afford to have a module that is too tall, so if you are to expand the height of the module, don't do so by much.
(2) Your design, while it can stand out, needs to look good within the context of the larger page. If there are some minor tweaks we need to make to make your design fit, that's fine, but everything outside of the highlighted region is basically fixed at this point.
We want the design to be fun and welcoming, while conveying the scientific rigor of the information. We feel like the page is a bit boring and sterile in its current form. Also, the design should clearly convey that the web site is about product ratings.
Again, this design is focused only on the highlighted region of the uploaded files. Here are the elements in that region:
1. A product image and its rating -- other products/ratings will rotate into this slot every few seconds. There should be a way for the user to manually rotate to the next product. I included two attachments to show what a high rated product looks like versus a low rated product.
2. The header: "Find the healthiest, greenest, most ethical products and brands according to scientific research and ratings."
3. The sub-header: "GoodGuide is the world's largest source of information about the health, social, and environmental performance of the products you buy."
4. A way to "Learn more"
*Alternate variant*: Instead of including the sub-header (#3), instead include a prominent search bar labeled, "How do your products rate?"